About Slow-Cooker Creamy Lemon Herb Chicken
Slow-Cooker Creamy Lemon Herb Chicken is an incredibly flavorful and easy-to-make dish that is perfect for busy weeknights or lazy weekends. This recipe combines the tangy freshness of lemon with aromatic herbs and tender chicken, resulting in a mouthwatering meal that will leave everyone asking for seconds.
By using a slow cooker, you can effortlessly infuse the chicken with all the flavors while ensuring it remains tender and juicy. The creamy sauce adds a luscious touch to the dish, making it a hit with both kids and adults alike.
For the chicken:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the creamy sauce:
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, lemon zest, minced garlic, dried oregano, dried thyme, salt, and pepper.
2. Place the chicken breasts in the slow cooker and pour the lemon herb mixture over them, ensuring they are evenly coated.
3. Cover the slow cooker and cook on low heat for 4-6 hours or until the chicken is cooked through and tender.
4. In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes until lightly golden.
5. Slowly whisk in the chicken broth and bring the mixture to a simmer. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the sauce thickens.
6. Stir in the heavy cream, fresh parsley, salt, and pepper. Continue cooking for another 2-3 minutes until the sauce is creamy and well combined.
7. Remove the chicken breasts from the slow cooker and shred them using two forks. Return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker and pour the creamy sauce over it. Mix well to coat the chicken evenly.
8. Cover the slow cooker and cook on low heat for an additional 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
9. Serve the slow-cooker creamy lemon herb chicken over cooked rice or pasta, garnished with additional parsley if desired.
1. Can I use bone-in chicken for this recipe?
Yes, you can use bone-in chicken for this recipe. However, you may need to adjust the cooking time accordingly to ensure the chicken is fully cooked.
2. Can I substitute the heavy cream with a lighter alternative?
Yes, if you prefer a lighter option, you can substitute the heavy cream with half-and-half or whole milk. Keep in mind that the sauce may not be as creamy or rich.
3. Can I freeze the leftovers?
Yes, you can freeze the leftovers. Allow the dish to cool completely before transferring it to a freezer-safe container. It can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
4. Can I use fresh herbs instead of dried herbs?
Yes, you can use fresh herbs instead of dried herbs. Keep in mind that the flavor intensity may vary, so you may need to adjust the quantity accordingly. Use approximately three times the amount of fresh herbs compared to dried herbs.
5. Can I add vegetables to the slow cooker?
Absolutely! Feel free to add your favorite vegetables, such as carrots, potatoes, or green beans, to the slow cooker along with the chicken. Just ensure that the vegetables are cut into bite-sized pieces and adjust the cooking time if needed.